Monday, October 10, 2011

Crazy Quilt Earns Blue Ribbon


My crazy quilt, "Paisley", won a blue ribbon in the New York State of Mind Quilt Contest at the Farmers' Museum in Cooperstown, NY this weekend. It's made completely by hand. I fashioned the wired ribbon roses in the center, embroidered the paisley, added beads and such. The center fabric is a paisley tone-on-tone silk brocade I have had for some time. The green velvet I fashioned into a quasi-Moorish arch to frame the main embroidery. Then, I bordered it with crazy quilt panels on two sides. There is a lot of hand embroidery throughout the crazy quilted portion. I added velvet ribbon borders. The pink ribbon treatment around the outer two edges was inspired by an antique crazy quilt. I had a lot of fun making this wall hanging!

I've been asked to display three of my crazy quilts next April at the Quilt Expo en Beaujolais, France. I'm delighted to do so! 2012 promises to be an extraordinary year.

9 comments:

Arlene White said...

Congratulations..... it's a wonderful peice.

Jocelyne said...

Good for you!! Bravo! and if you need someone to help you with french don't hesitated... La Bourgogne is a nice place to go ,very very nice wine......
Amities

Jocelyne said...

oups! I mean beaujolais!!! nice wine too!!!!

Connie said...

Congratulations I'd love to see it in person

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Well deserved Betty! It is a lovely and unique CQ. Congratulations and continued blessings in 2012...sounds like a wonderful year to look forward to.
Smiles,
Pat

Pamela Kellogg said...

Absolutely stunning Betty! And congratulations! Lets hope 2012 is a good year for everyone! Hugs, Pam

Unknown said...

Absolutely gorgeous. You are a fabulous designer and executer-of-designs! The big paisley design and the roses are just beautiful. I love the way you set it in the quilt. So pretty and such pretty colors. Best wishes for a much improved year in 2012.

Susan said...

Wow you do wonderful work and I have now become a follower and you have given me lots of inspiration with this Quilt. Hugs

Thearica said...

VERY deserving of the ribbon and many more to come!

I hope that you are feeling much better!

I did not see an email link in your profile. I wanted to invite you to a show I am hosting on my blog.

Crazy Quilts Are Quilts Too Show!

Where: Pig Tales and Quilts!

When: Feb 1 - 15, 2012

Prizes - YES!

I will be showcasing all Crazy Quilters who wish to participate in this show right here on my blog starting Feb 1, 2012 and running through Feb 15th!

There are 4 parts to the show:
The Linking Party
The Competition
The Voting
Prize awards

Prizes!

I am still working on prizes but I wanted to list the prizes that have been procured at this moment! The fabulous prize sponsors so far include:

Maureen Greeson of Maureen's Vintage Acquisitions - 100.00 gift certificate to her shop!

Carole and Marilyn of Flights of Fancy - 100.00 gift certificate to her shop!

Thearica Burroughs of Cover Your Little Piggies - 100.00 gift certificate to my shop!

Carolyn Cibik of Evening Star Designs - 75.00 gift certificate to her shop!

Nancy Eha of Bead Creative - 75.00 prize bundle from her shop

Nicki Seavey of Raviolee Dreams - 50.00 gift certificate to her shop!

Shelia of Artemis Silk Ribbon - Prize unknown at the moment

Jenny Friske of Divine Spark Designs - prize unknown at the moment

Victoria Clayton of Hand Dyed Fibers -
27.00 merchandise bundle for competition - 2 ribbon assortments! Winners choice!

I have a few more prize sponsors yet to decide and will update the list should they agree.

Otherwise, the prizes shown will be put in to prize bundles so that at the very least, 4 prizes will be awarded!

For more information, please come to my blog: www.pigtalesandquilts.com